THE PASSIONS OF PATRIOTS takes place 101 years before Irish Firebrands. Both are stand-alone novels, but Patriots functions as a family-saga prelude because it addresses some unanswered questions that Firebrands raised for me:
- In a culture that until recently was not known for its cuisine, how did Mamó get her reputation as a great cook?
- What’s the whole story about Daideo’s service in the British Army on the Somme during the First World War?
- Other than perhaps because of modernizing or comfort underfoot, why was the flagstone ground floor of Drumcarroll farmhouse overlaid with hardwood floorboards?
- Why was the cleevy of spits never removed from the kitchen wall, after the ironmongery on the hearth was removed and the iron stove was installed in its place?
- Why did Daideo plant an apple orchard instead of farming grain, in defiance of Irish Free State Government directives?
Note: In the interests of document security, and to strengthen the fight against piracy and plagiarism, it is my policy to publish excerpts only from my published novels which have had their copyrights registered, and I do not give away free complete downloads of my published, copyright-registered novels at any retail site. I regret any disappointment this may cause. You are invited to read the Synopsis and examine the Cover reveal (see menu, above), and to visit blog posts that discuss the writing process of Patriots.