Unknown Soldiers: The Story of the Missing of the First World War.
Warning: Trench warfare details. Not for the faint-hearted or weak-of-stomach. I read it to learn about the Tommy and the Jerry (not so interested in the Yank). It was disappointing that the end of Herr Hub’s life was also the end of the German side of the unknown soldier story, when there was a large amount written about subsequent commemorations by the British and the Americans. Otherwise, well written and informative.
- Massive section of end notes (more than 360 items).
- Large bibliography.
- Small-to-routine sized index.
- Two sets of unique illustrations.
- One generic Western Front map.
- Cover illustrations by William Orpen.